The following is a guide for the essential information you should know BEFORE your oral interview.
- How long is the probationary period?
- What can I expect from the academy?
- What is the relationship between the fire department and the community?
- How many firefighters are going to be hired and how long is the eligibility list?
- What desirable qualifications is the department looking for?
(You will have already read the job description flyer, but you are looking for the “inside information.”)
- What are the strengths of the department?
- What are the opportunities for advancement down the road?
- What can I do to make a good impression on the oral board?
- Is the fire department active in the community?
(E.g. teaching first aid and CPR courses, public service day, CERT Training, etc.)
- What do you like about the department?
- What additional projects or assignments are firefighters able to get involved in?
(E.g. fire prevention bureau, hazardous materials team, confined space or technical rescue, and paramedic program)
- What are the different areas of the community that the fire department services?
(E.g. airport, marine, wild land interface, freeway, commercial, high-rise industrial, residential and beaches)
- What special community projects is the fire chief planning to implement?
(E.g. CERT Program, train a certain percentage of the community in first aid, CPR and AED, immunizations for the community).
- What is important to the fire chief?
(E.g. experience, education, mechanical aptitude, living in the community).
- Is the city or county planning to add or delete fire stations?
- For the new firefighters who have done well on probation, what qualities do they possess that have made them successful?
- Where is the department headed in the future?
(E.g. hazardous materials teams, weapons of mass destruction task force, immunizations for the community, add a BLS ambulance transport system)
- What are some of the biggest morale boosters for the firefighters that have occurred in the last couple of years?
- What projects has the department completed in the last few years? What projects are still in the works?
- If you were in my position and you wanted to work for this department, what would be your next step?
- Is there anyone else that you would recommend I speak to?